Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Course Help & Support

If you have general questions about the course, please browse through this list first. Click/tap on a question to expand it and view the answer. If there’s something that’s not answered here, please reply to this topic with your question. For lecture & assignment related queries, please ask question on the respective threads.

What will I learn in this course? Why is it titled "Zero to Pandas"?

Data Analysis with Python: Zero to Pandas is an online course intended to provide a coding-first introduction to data analysis.

The course takes a hands-on coding-focused approach and will be taught using live interactive Jupyter notebooks, allowing students to follow along and experiment. Theoretical concepts will be explained in simple terms using code. Participants will receive weekly assignments and work on a project with a real-world dataset to test their skills. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a certificate of completion.

The following topics are covered:

• Python & Jupyter Fundamentals
  • Numpy for data processing
  • Pandas for working with tabular data
  • Visualization with Matplotlib and Seaborn
  • Exploratory Data Analysis: A Case Study

The course is called “Zero to Pandas” because it assumes no prior knowledge of Python (i.e. you can start from Zero), and by the end of the five weeks, you’ll be familiar with running data analysis with Python.

Access the Course Syllabus for more details.

What is the duration of this course?

This course is now self paced, you can enroll, watch the session recordings and submit the assignments and course project. The submissions will be evaluated by us and you shall be provided with the certificate on successful completion.

Who is eligible for taking this course? Are there any prerequisites?

This is a beginner-friendly course, and no prior knowledge of Data Science or Python is assumed. You DON’T require a college degree (B.Tech, Masters, PhD etc.) to participate in this course.

You do need to have a computer (laptop/desktop) with a good internet connection to watch the video lectures, run the code online, and participate in the forum discussions.

What do I need to do get a certificate for this course?

To become eligible for a “Certificate of Completion”, you need to satisfy the all of following criteria:

• Make valid submissions for all 3 weekly assignments in the course (the course team will evaluate & accept/reject submission)
  • Make a valid submission towards the course project
  • Do not violate the Code of Conduct

More details regarding the assignments and the course project will be shared during the course. Please note that we reserve the right to withhold/cancel any participant’s certificate if we are not satisfied with the quality of their submissions or find them in violation of the Code of Conduct.

Is the certificate free of cost, or do I need to pay for it?

The Certificate of Completion is FREE of COST.

Who is issuing the certificate? Is it by some educational institution?

The Certificate of Completion will be issued by Jovian . Please not that Jovian is not a registered educational institution, and this certificate will not count towards your higher education/college credits. The certificate simply indicates that you have completed all the required coursework for this course. Please note that Jovian reserves the right to withhold/cancel any participant’s certificate if we are not satisfied with the quality of their submissions or find them in violation of the Code of Conduct.

Where can I watch the lectures?

Video lectures are available on the FreeCodeCamp YouTube channel.

Playlist Link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWKjhJtqVAblvI1i46ScbKV2jH1gdL7VQ

Do I need to set up anything on my computer to participate in this course?

No, you do not need to install any additional software on your computer to participate in this course. You just need a computer (laptop/desktop) with a working internet connection and a modern web browser (like Google Chrome or Firefox) to watch the lectures, participate in forum discussions, and complete the assignments.

You will be able to do all the assignments using free online computing platforms that you can access from your web browser. More details about these will be shared during the video lectures and on the individual assignment threads.

Do I need a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) for this course? Will I need to pay for it?

Yes, some of the material & assignments in this course will require a Graphics Processing Units or GPUs, but you do not need to purchase or pay for GPUs. We will be using online platforms like Google Colab and Kaggle Kernels, which provide free access to GPUs for a limited amount of time every week. The free tier should be sufficient for completing this course successfully.

We will also share information about other paid cloud GPU platform options that you can use for training models in personal projects that you decide to take up after the course.

How will the course material (Jupyter notebooks, assignments be shared)?

The lectures will be taught using Jupyter notebooks, an browser-based interactive programming environment. The lecture notebooks and assignements will be shared using Jovian, a platform for sharing Jupyter notebooks and data science projects. You will be able to run the shared Jupyter notebooks directly from Jovian.

There will be separate forum topic for each assignment, where the problem statement & submission instructions will be shared. Please check the individual topics for more details regarding assignments.

How much time am I expected to put in every week for this course?

The coursework should not take up more than 8-10 hours per week. If you’re able to do it in lesser time, that’s great.

In general, even if you’re a full-time student or working professional, you should be able to follow along and complete the coursework comfortably, if you remain motivated.

Can I watch the video lectures without registering or doing assignments?

Sure, you can audit the course by just viewing the video lectures, but we highly recommend that you try out the assignments and put in the work required to earn a certificate. Doing the assignments will help you apply the concepts and get hands-on experience with building deep learning models. Interactive Juptyer notebooks are a great way to learn & experiment with the code, and we’ve put in a lot of effort to prepare these resources for you. We hope you will find it worthwhile to do the assignments & exercises.

Is there any textbook for reference during the course?

No, there is no textbook for this course. This course is taught entirely using Jupyter notebook, which include a fair bit of explanation along with code, graphs, links to references etc. We will provide links to reading material, blog posts & other free resources online.

Who is the instructor for this course?

The instructor for this course is Aakash N S
Aakash is the co-founder and CEO of Jovian, a project management and collaboration
platform for machine learning. Prior to starting Jovian, Aakash worked as a software
engineer (APIs & Data Platforms) at Twitter in Ireland & San Francisco and graduated from IIT
Bombay. He’s also a Competitions Expert on Kaggle, an avid blogger, open source contributor
and online educator.

How will the assignments be graded? Is there a minimum passing grade?
  • Assignments will require completing tasks such as creating a Jupyter notebook, writing a blog post etc.
  • Assignment submissions will be done via Google Forms at the end of the specified period
  • The course team will evaluate submissions and either “accept” or “reject” them. If your submission is rejected, you’ll have a chance to resubmit.
  • There is no passing grade as such, we simply require that your submissions to all of the assignments are accepted.

More details about the submission will be provided in the individual topics for each assignment.

Where can I ask questions, if I have doubts or need clarifications?

Depending on the type of question, please choose one of the following:

1. If you have questions on any topic covered in a lecture/assignment, you can post them in the respective lecture/assignment threads. Someone from the course team or the community will try to answer your question. Before asking, please scroll through the thread to check if your question has already been asked/answered.

2. Use the Help thread for other questions, doubts and coding errors/issue that are not specific to a particular lecture or assignment.

3. If you have questions about the course itself, please check the Frequently Asked Questions (this thread). If your question is not answered here, you can post a reply on this thread to ask your question.

4. If you do not want to ask a question publicly or need more assistance, you can send an email to zerotopandas@jovian.ai, and someone from the course team will respond to you over email.

We recommend asking question on the forum, since in many cases other members of the community will be able to answer questions faster than us (we’re a small team), and your question will also be useful for others. Remember, no question to too simple to be asked.

Can I invite my friends or colleagues to participate in the course with me?

Yes, please spread the word and invite your friends to join in. Please make sure they join before the 2nd lecture, so that they can qualify for the certificate. You can also start a study group with your friends to learn together.

Is there an official study group or review session for this course?

There is no official study group or review session, but there are several unofficial study groups across various timezones that you can join to learn together with other participants. Consider starting a new study group if you don’t find one matching your timezone/city.

I'm facing harassment/abuse from another participant in the course. What should I do?

We expect all participants to follow the Code of Conduct, and we take harassment and abuse very seriously. Please reach out to us at hello@jovian.ai if you are a victim of harassment/abuse by another user, and we’ll investigate the matter and take strict action immediately. Once verified, we will remove the participant from the course, and for more serious matters, report it to relevant authorities.

What is Jovian? What is Jovian's role in this course?

Jovian is a platform for sharing data science projects & Juptyer notebooks, used by thousands of data scientists & machine learning practitioners worldwide.

The material in this couse has been prepared by the Jovian team, and the instructor, Aakash N S, is the co-founder & CEO of Jovian. All couse Jupyter notebooks & assignments are shared via the Jovian platform, and the Jovian forum is used for discussions & course communications.

What is FreeCodeCamp? What is FreeCodeCamp's role in this course?

See https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/about/

This course is a collaborative effort between FreeCodeCamp & Jovian, and all lectures will be livestreamed and will remain available for public viewing on FreeCodeCamp’s YouTube channel.

5 Likes

Actually I am totally new to this area and I know only some of the concepts in C programming. I don’t know about python. So I wanted to learn basics of python first

6 Likes

Hello @aakashns once again thank you for all your effort. :small_orange_diamond:
Will the notebooks be share prior to the start of lectures :thinking:?
if no yes when :parachute:?

1 Like

I think basic knowledge of C is enough to start python :point_right:t6:. same concept in my opinion. You can join this course even if you do not have knowledge of python. @aakashns method of teaching is so intuitive :mechanical_arm: that you will even pick up the basic python :baby_symbol: knowledge whilst learning pandas :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Will the recorded lectures only stay on YouTube for 12 hours or will they remain indefinitely? I may not be able to view tomorrow’s recording within 12 hours of it being uploaded.

Thanks

Hi @alesco91, The lectures will be indefinitely accessible.

What is the course Curriculum?

The course curriculum is the overview of what will be covered in our course.
You can access the same here: https://jovian.ai/learn/data-analysis-with-python-zero-to-pandas

1 Like

Hello, is it possible for me to use my installed jupyter notebook on my pc instead of using the one provided online for this course (from binder)?

Sure you can. I believe you can clone materials too once you installed jovian, say
pip install jovian
jovian clone aakashns/first-steps-with-python

1 Like