Introductions, About and First Steps

I am Andre Johnson, the Jovian.ml South African Study Group leader. This by no means makes me your instructor. This study group is for us to inspire, teach and learn from each other. Also, networking with other people is the best route to success.

Jovian.ml is a great way platform gain experience, build a portfolio and even get official recommendations and certifications on your LinkedIn profile.

Please join this group if you are South African (or close enough). Be sure to sign up for Jovian.ml first.

After that, please tell a bit about yourself by replying to this forum, including:

• a bit of your personal history
  • where you live (this can be useful post-lockdown)
  • your experience in programming and machine learning
  • what you hope to achieve
  • anything else you think is of importance or just interesting

This is very important so that I have an idea of how many active members we have!

This group is open to anyone of all levels, even if they did not do the Machine Learning course. Kindly share this link to any people you know who may be interested so that we can create a solid community.

Hopefully we can get five to ten active participants within a week and then we can start with virtual meetings and polls to discuss the best platforms, schedules and topics that everyone prefers. So again, please share this group to anyone who might be interested and on your any social media platforms.

After that, I will set up a well-defined agenda. For now, let us just get to know each other.

Also be sure to register for the next free jovian.ai course here and remember to invite your friends. There are more certified courses to come in the future as well.

So let us get active, learn and have fun!

2 Likes

Hi all

Don’t forget to sign up for the next certified free course starting on the 15th of August.
Enrol forData Analysis with Python: Zero to Pandas.

Hi all, I’ll start this off.

I am Andre Johnson. I studied Chemistry/Biochemistry residing in Cape Town.

I am a self-taught programmer with a passion and talent for mathematics, statistics and data. Currently I mainly focus on hybrid app development using the Angular framework.

I have always loved data. I am more intrigued by NLP than visual machine learning. However, since I also love the economy, business intelligence is a goal I strive for. My programming experience is well above average, though there is always a lot to learn.

I want to build up a proper portfolio and skill set to get a proper career in South Africa’s current economy.

Also, I just love learning new things and interacting with other people

Quote from Cherish @cherish in another topic:

@cratisai

That’s great to hear Cherish. Although I did not study it, investments have always been a big passion of mine. I do believe there is a lot of potential for machine learning in investments and a great practice would be on cryptocurrencies because of their open APIs. Perhaps we can work on such a project together

Let me introduce myself. My name is Annan Dejene and I am from Ethiopia. I am a grade 11 student. I started learning Data Science and Machine Learning a few months ago, I’ve learned Python and some of its useful libraries for Data Science like Pandas, numpy, matplotlib, seaborn and sklearn. I am now taking online courses about Statistics and Machine Learning. I really want to reach my dreams and I will be doing as much as I can to do that. I am happy to be part of this community and I hope we will be learning from each other and be ready for what is coming.

1 Like

Welcome Annan

Grade 11, that is impressive. Making us old people feel even older :laughing:

Glad to have you here. I guess you are a bit further advanced than the current Data Analysis course. Did you do the Machine Learning one a few months ago? That was quite informative.

Which online courses do you take if I may ask? I want to continue my university studies in mathematics and statistics, but with South Africa’s current state I will hopefully be able to resume next year at the earliest.

Thank you Andre, Happy to be here! I have a little experience with Data Analysis in Python. Which Machine Learning course are you saying?
I took Python for everybody course by Dr. Chuck, its on YouTube, Machine Learning A-Z on Udemy and I am now taking Deep Learning A-Z and Statistics for Data Science and Business Analysis on Udemy. What about you how did you start your journey, what did you learn ?

I am all self-taught, but these things have always been a passion of mine.

Jovian’s first certified course was a few months ago and all about Deep Learning. It was quite impressive. In 6 weeks a lot of information was taught including the mathematical fundamentals

Right now I am just in an internet limited area, so I am going to save my data for tonight’s lecture, lol

A Quick Poll For All

Just to get to know each other a bit better and find our common grounds. It is also just to get more interaction from all of you so that we can shape the best possible study group that enriches our learning experiences. None of this impacts your status in any way.

How would you rate your own programming skills from the very basics to AI expert?

0 voters

Are you currently enrolled for Data Analysis with Python: Zero to Pandas?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Did you do the previous Deep Learning Course on Jovian.ml?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Preferred medium for group discussions:

• Discord
  • Slack
  • Telegram
  • WhatsApp
  • Zoom/Meet

0 voters

I am aware that a google forms app may be more informative. These are the options I currently have. If anyone knows Google Forms already, please feel free to help create a better poll. Also elaborate on your goals as well as a bit about your history, current position and where you are situated