Role: Senior Data Scientist
Location: Remote, North America
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Data science experience: Six or more years in data science, analytics, or comparable roles. Four or more years focused on models and algorithms. Demonstrable experience with model selection. Creativity in adapting tools and techniques.
- Instinct for product discovery: Experience with product management and the discovery of data products. Effective data-product prototyping. Able to uncover insights in messy data sources. Effective juggler of scope, time, and value. Able to build cross-functional partnerships.
- Analytics leader: Experience mentoring and developing teammates. Fostered open, respectful, data-driven team cultures. Smartly managed hard technical and business trade-offs. Defined effective and flexible best practices.
- Strong technical education: Ideally, a Master’s degree in a technical or quantitative field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, or Finance. Bonus for relevant Ph.D.
- Big-data, cloud-based toolkit: Worked with billion-row datasets. Experienced with distributed data processing technology (e.g., Spark). Hands-on experience with AWS’s data warehousing and ML products and Snowflake. Fluent in Python for analytics/ML use cases as well as SQL.
- Right soft skills: Passion for data, discovery, and problem-solving. Curious; confident; and open to questioning assumptions and being questioned. Effective communicator across technical and business audiences; able to manage stakeholder expectations; and able to collaborate with hands-on executives. Entrepreneurial; fast-moving; able to balance vision with execution; and not easily discouraged. Has an instinct for value; and focused on the incremental, not gold plating.
- Bonus for knowledge of our domain–software delivery: Empathy for the challenges developers face with productivity and time to market. Ideally, experience developing code, debugging, testing, committing with distributed VCS and modern CI/CD.